Thursday, July 12, 2012

Da-Bike experiment

This is me super tired, but trying to look cool and not tired. (failed on both counts)
Also the seat on this bike really hurt my butt. But I got a new one after that as you'll read.
So, I thought it would be a good idea to ride my bike to work.

I thought it was a good idea.

My legs sometimes tell me otherwise.

Now there are a number of reasons why I did this.  One is because I don't want the rail to be built here (just being honest)...and I figure if I'm gonna ask someone to not drive their car and catch bus or ride bike, I better do it myself.  So here we are.

4 weeks into the trial.  I've biked at least once a week (Wed)...sometimes twice (Wed, Thurs) if I'm feeling ambitious.

Now the first time I tried it...I seriously was doubting my ability to ride 10 miles w/o quiting or getting hit by a car.  But you know what? Neither of those things have happened!!! (and haven't YET!...crossing my fingers).

Now one might think, "Hey Jared, you must be some kinda ultra fit person to do that kind of stuff."
(I said might...)

And I would respond, "Why thank you for thinking that, but not really.  I love to eat pizza, candy, and all kinds of other stuff full of delicious sugary magic!  My doctor says I have borderline high blood pressure.  I have had gout.  I have a little bit of asthma...and I weigh about 226lbs.  So not as ultra fit as you might imagine."

So anyway, back to riding bike. It does take some courage to bike on the road WITH CARS!!!  But so long as you ride straight and be courteous to drivers, they won't really bother you.  (Actually I could just be so tired that I don't even notice people trying to bother me.  Anyway in either case, there is no bothering to notice!)

OK, so for the positive things about this experiment: 1) I made it to work  2) I made it home from work  3) It is getting easier  4)umm nothing I can think of...yet.

The negatives? None. Na. Just kidding. It does take me longer to get to the office.  But I'm just starting this bike thing and I imagine as I get into better shape and figure out the best route to work I'll shave minutes off the travel time. I also did get a flat tire cause I ran over a branch w/ a HUGE thorn.  I don't have a repair kit (which I should buy). And I don't "really" know how to change my tire...but hey! That's what YouTube is for, right?

What else should I talk about? Bike stuff/equipment!

So I have a helmet.  A BIG ONE...made by Bell.  They call it the XLV. (DON'T LAUGH) (OK LAUGH but not too much please).  I need a big helmet cause...you guessed it I have a big head.  What I also have purchased is a new seat...some kind of gel thing. It has been like night and day w/ this new one.  If you are considering riding bike, I would definitely recommend a good seat.  Here's the one I got...I think. Another thing you should get are lights.  I have something like these.  I think they work pretty good.  Also another thing I decided to get were some sleeves...CAUSE I WAS GETTING BURNT! They're something like this. They also have been a great purchase IMO.

When deciding to ride bike, I never realized how much stuff...extra stuff you need.  But it's been good.  Nothing really spectacular in this post.  It could be though that I am so exhausted from riding, that I can't formulate my thoughts properly and therefore can't write a better blog post. Hmm.

Anyway, that's all for now.  I have really good story about biking that happened to me like 15? no...MAYBE 20 YEARS AGO!!!! Oh My Lord I am getting old.  But come back for that.  It involves me, riding bike, & poop! C'mon add poop to a story and it is like a MILLION TIMES better than w/o right?!?!?! Anyway that's all for now.

P.S. Gonna go to Alaska (w/ my family and a team from church) in a couple days to help out w/ a camp!  Pretty excited about that. 

...OH and have fun biking!...and support your local bike shops.

No comments: