Sunday, May 15, 2011

Re-Evaluating

So lately I've been thinking about what really matters...to me. One of the things that came to mind is 'stuff'. I want my family to have nice stuff. A house, transportation, nice clothes, and all the essential 'stuff' like a TV, computer, microwave, refrigerator, (typical guy stuff) etc. But what is the cost of that...stuff?

I don't know what book this was from but it kinda said something about we don't pay for things with money, we pay for things with time. For example, if I wanted to buy a house it's not so much the $600k - $700k loan that is the issue (but for me it kinda is an issue), but more about the amount of time it will take me to pay that off. Do I want to get into a 30 year loan...emphasis on the 30 (or more) years...in order to make this happen? Is it worth it for me to take on a 2nd and/or 3rd job and most likely miss out on soccer games, beach days, and daddy & daughter dates? Is it worth it for me to be too tired to spend time with my wife after a long day/week/month of work?

Some might say that you can do all those things with your family after you get the house...after you get the "security". Kind of like a "there's always tomorrow" mentality. That might be true. But I've just been feeling lately that I can't always count on tomorrow. I gotta take advantage of the time I have now. I'm not saying that I'll ditch my job and spend all my time at home. No. What I'm trying to say...or what I think I'm trying to say is that I want to make the most of every moment that's been given to me. I want to teach my girls that life is about more than money and 'stuff'. It's about making memories, and laughing, and having fun...it's about relationships. It's about love.

If you spend or lose money on something, you can always work and make more money. But once you spend or lose time on something, you can never get that time back.

I might be off the mark here...but it's just how I'm feeling at the moment.

No comments: