Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Gifts? how 'bout a HASHI

Well, as you know...if you live in Hawaii or have lived here, the plate lunch is one of the main types of staples here in the islands. It comes in a Styrofoam container with plastic utensils or wooden chopsticks. In the container we have a variety of meat/chicken/battered fish/fried shrimp, rice and mac salad. After we eat the local goodness, we just trash the whole thing...styrofoam and plastic.

Well, recently I've been becoming more aware how bad all that stuff is for the environment (I know, I'm really late to this party)...and not only that, but we are running out of places to put it (our trash). I know that second one is kinda scary. I never thought about running out of a place to put trash. I just thought it went to the dump and then the dump ate it or something like that...I dunno. Like I said, just never thought of that.

So one small thing we can do...or we can get this Christmas for each other is...

These 9 3/4" Black Wood Japanese Chopsticks (51314CS) have a beautiful black finish and a red lacquer tip that gives them a special Japanese accent with ties to the Japanese flag. Unlike Chinese chopsticks, which typically are made of unfinished wood, these lacquered chopsticks taper to a sharper, pointier end. The black and red design can match a variety of decors, atmospheres and tabletop settings, but are particularly suited to a modern restaurant with a contemporary design.

...a HASHI

...or chopstick

...actually A PAIR OF CHOPSTICKS!!!

Now I know that this might not seem like a lot and maybe it isn't. But it's a start. It's a step in the right direction. Plus you never know how great the trickle down effect might be! You know, like if we all get our own hashi, then all the L&L's won't have to keep purchasing disposable ones...THEN maybe plate lunches would get cheaper?!?!?!  I know it's farfetched, but still...you never know.

Anyway, the beautiful hashi that you see pictured above, I found on amazon...but said you can only get it from an external site. Can you guess how much it is? Find out here.

Did you check?!? I know...they are THAT EXPENSIVE. Plus did you see they were on sale? Wow.

Thanks to Kanu Hawaii for doing such great work in creating awareness and getting the word out.

Okay, that's all for now.

Oh and if you can buy local, buy local and support local people.  If cannot, then cannot.

Okay, now I'm done.

See ya.

No comments: