Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Where does our food come from?

Lately, I've been...hmm what's the right phrase?

I've been trying to get more information...trying to educate myself on  a particular issue that has become important to me.

Food Security

The state of Hawaii currently produces only 10% (some say 15%) of the food we consume.  The rest is shipped in from various places.  Another stat I recently heard was that Hawaii only has a 3 day (some say 7 day) reserve on hold should there be any interruption to the importation of our food.

That's the sad & scary part.

But, there are people who are and have been working to turn Hawaii out this mess.

I recently got to see a 30min documentary called Ingredients Hawaii.  It shares the inspiring stories of groups and individuals working hard to bring light to issues such as food security, nutrition, sustainability, & culture.  Here's a preview of this great little film:



If you get a chance, I would also recommend seeing Ingredients the film, which Ingredients Hawaii is based off of.  It might still be on Netflix streaming if you have that service.





Now you know a little bit about this issue. What's next?
Well, we can do a few things.
1. Support local & buy local as much as possible If you can check these places out, please do.  If you have already been to or are supporting these places, then right on.  Keep it up.
Town
Sweet Home Waimanalo
Heeia Kea Pier General Store & Deli
Ma'o Organic Farms
2. Check out your local farmers market This falls under the buy local support local idea.  My wife and I have 2 young children and it IS a little difficult to get us all out of the house, but once we're moving, it's all good. Click here for a listing of Farmer's Markets in Hawaii. (Maybe we'll see you there!)
3. Join a CSA. We recently joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  It's through Kula Fields.  Once a month we get a box full of fresh and delicious fruits and vegetables! If you subscribe to an annual membership, delivery to your home is free.  We've gotten two boxes so far and when we get them, it kinda feels like Christmas!  Like Santa came and left you a present.  A big box gets delivered to your home, you open it, and inside there are all sorts of great stuff!  We joined while there was a LivingSocial deal going on, so I think the membership fee was waved.  But still, it has been great. Also, in joining a CSA, you directly support local farmers and their businesses.
4. Try grow something Through out Ingredients Hawaii, there are other stories of regular people (& EVEN KIDS) growing their own food.  Just start with something small...and take it from there.  We'll be trying a few things in the near future...and I'll let you know how that turns out.  Well maybe just one thing and I'll let you know. (While I have you here, if you know of something easy to grow, let me know! I'd love to hear what you're doing...and I'll take some tips if you got any! Thanks.)

Lastly here are a few organizations I follow.  They are actively doing great things to take care of our islands.  Check'um out:
Blue Planet Foundation
KYA Sustainability Studio
Kanu Hawaii
...and find them on Twitter or Facebook if you can.

Ok, I've written enough.  That's all for now.  Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas about this kind of stuff.  I'd love to hear from you.

Till next time...take care.

No comments: